Class Actions & Complex Litigation
The attorneys at Methvin Terrell have a proven track record of pursuing class actions and other complex litigation to a successful resolution. A class action is a type of lawsuit brought by one or more individuals, commonly referred to as "class representatives," on behalf of a larger group or "class" of individuals who have similar claims. The purpose of a class action lawsuit is to combine numerous claims of individuals or entities into one action brought before a single judge. By bringing an action on behalf of a class of similarly situated persons or entities, a plaintiff is able to challenge wrongful corporate conduct on a large scale and obtain relief for many people or entities who may not be able to recover individually.
Our attorneys have represented plaintiffs in a wide variety of class action suits, including those involving employment and labor matters, such as wage and hour issues (failure to pay overtime or minimum wage), consumer protection, unfair business practices, false advertising, antitrust, predatory lending, breach of contract, RICO violations, and securities violations. Class actions often challenge the largest and wealthiest corporations who will use their vast resources to fight meaningful change and recovery. Methvin Terrell has the resources and expertise to successfully pursue these cases to, and through, trial.
Our Birmingham-based firm is equipped to handle complex litigation. We have veteran leadership and a group of highly skilled and accomplished litigators with the sophistication and team mentality to advocate effectively and efficiently for our clients in all forums. Representing a range of clients from entrepreneurs and small business to consumers and Medicare beneficiaries, we handle matters for plaintiffs and defendants in class actions and complex commercial disputes throughout Alabama, and in jurisdictions across the United States.
Litigation is deemed complex when the sheer volume of documents, multiple parties with intertwined interests, jurisdictional issues or other circumstances defy a simple solution. These include class actions and multidistrict litigation (MDL cases), but can arise from a basic contract dispute with multiple complicating factors. Our firm has the technology and the people to manage the extensive research, analysis, depositions and expert testimony, and the courtroom skills to facilitate productive settlement talks and present persuasive trial advocacy. For over 10 years, our firm has handled all types of complex corporate, commercial and business litigation suits, in addition to numerous successful class action lawsuits.
Common class action or complex litigation suits include:
- Small businesses who are charged excessive and unlawful fees for various services
- Employees of a company who have not been paid overtime compensation or are not allowed to take adequate meal or rest breaks
- Consumers who were misled and deceived by companies with respect to issues such as product safety or efficacy
- Borrowers who were the target of predatory lending practices by lenders who charge excessive fees and exorbitant interest rates for loans
- Consumers who pay artificially inflated prices for products caused by price fixing agreements or other anti-competitive conduct
- Shareholders who were victimized by the fraudulent conduct of corporations in connection with the purchase or sale of securities
- Breach of contract or license agreements
- Breach of implied or express warranties
- Breach of oral agreements ("handshake deals")
- Uniform Commercial Code (UCC) disputes
- Partnership, LLC and joint venture dissolutions
- Fraud and misrepresentation claims
- Antitrust litigation and unfair competition claims
- Tortious interference cases
- Intellectual property infringement
- Non-compete and non-disclosure violations
- Securities and shareholder litigation
- Legal, accounting and professional malpractice claims
- Breach of fiduciary duty
- Insurance coverage and bad faith litigation
and many more ...